Ted is a member and former General Manager of the Victorian Artists Society, a member of the Watercolour Society of Victoria and member of the Hobson’s Bay Art Society.
He has been a practising artist for most of his working life, being
one of the lucky people who managed to combine artistic talent with work.
Starting his working career as a ticket-writer and sign-writer Ted moved to graphic design and illustration when the opportunity arose. He held a key role as Creative Director
& Senior Designer with the State Government of Victoria and the Premiers Private Office before being sought after as Production Manager/Art Director for a leading Victorian Media Company (Leeds Media/Starcom Worldwide).
He studied watercolours with
David Taylor in the early nineties and watercolour has remained his favoured medium since.
“I have drawn for as long as I care to remember. I love plein air painting, teaching and giving the occasional demonstration. My philosophy
is ‘Keep it Simple’, See the image - paint the feeling. Enough things can go wrong anyway!”
Drawn towards an impressionist approach to painting, some of Ted’s favourite role models include John Singer Sargent, Edward Seago,
Harold Herbert and R. W. Sturgess.
He has had more than solo exhibitions since 2000 as well a number of group shows with artist friends including '5'. A group born out of night of quiet drinks in 2009.
A number of First Prizes and Commendations
in various Art Shows have included;
- Best Local Artist Strathmore Rotary 2018
- ANL Maritime Art Award Winner 2017
- Victorian Artists Society AOTY Design Framing Award 2015, 2016
- Best in Show Strathmore Rotary 2016
- Best Watercolour Strathmore Rotary 2015
- Camberwell Rotary 2014 - Contemporary Art Award
- Best Watercolour Flinders Art Show 2014
- Best Watercolour Bayside Art Show 2013
- Best work on paper Yea Rotary Art Show 2013
- The Hobson’s Bay Rotary Art Show 1st Prize for Watercolour
- The MooneeValley Art Show Watercolour 1st Prize
- Victorian Artists Society’s Gordon Moffatt Award for 2011
Artists Society’s Artist of the Year Award for 2007
Ted was made a Fellow of the Victorian Artists Society in 2011 for his contribution to the Society and Art.